FACEBOOK ADDS A COVID-19 INFORMATION PANEL
Facebook is taking its role as a sharing platform seriously amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, as the social network has recently announced that it will be releasing a new COVID-19 Information Center panel. This panel will be located and highlighted at the top of every user's News Feed, according to Social Media Today.
This new information panel will feature the latest official news and updates regarding the coronavirus outbreak and will also include links to redirect users to helpful articles, videos and posts regarding social distancing, self-isolation and the prevention of the spread of COVID-19.
"People can also follow the Coronavirus Information Center to receive updates from health authorities directly in their News Feed," Facebook says according to Social Media Today. "And starting in the US, people will see features to help them connect with local groups and ask for or offer help within their community."
Facebook has provided a range of efforts in order to assist users by providing information amidst the evolving pandemic and within these efforts Facebook has:
- "Added informational prompts to relevant searches, in order to guide users towards accurate sources
- Expanded access to local alerts to help keep local communities updated on the important information regarding this pandemic
- Launched a new business resource hub to help those effected by the pandemic
- Provided free ad credits for organizations looking to communicate critical and important information
- Implemented bans on ads seeking to capitalize on the fears of users through the use COVID-19
- Provided new COVID-19 data tracking tools so anyone can follow the changing and continuous conversation
- Moved around more than $100 million to fund small businesses, fact-checkers and local newsrooms
- Provided staff with bonus payments in order to assist them with maintaining support for local businesses impacted by the changes"
The list above has been published by Social Media Today.
"The new information center panels will initially be rolled out to users in Italy, France, Germany, Spain, the UK and the US, before expanding to more countries "in the coming days"," Facebook says according to Social Media Today.
With this latest informative feature, Facebook is stepping up its role as a social media platform in order to keep its users informed and educated regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.
Image Credit: Unsplash.