Key GIF Trends Outlined by GIPHY Amidst COVID-19 Lockdown
Within the way people communicate online GIFs have become a key aspect of it all, GIFs are engaging ways to share different moods, responses or to remember great movie scenes, according to Social Media Today.
Along with all the different digital communications platforms, GIFs have also seen an increase in usage amid the COVID-19 lockdown. For there has been a 33% increase in GIF usage over the past month, with more than 10 billion pieces of content shared on GIPHY every single day, the leading GIF platform GIPHY said.
This has lead to new trends and shifts in trends depending on the usage as GIF usage provides indications regarding what people are doing, when they are doing and how the GIFs work into their interactions, according to Social Media Today.
- 423% increase in people searching the word "watching"
- 643% increase in people searching the word "movies"
- 999% increase in people searching the word "TV"
- Tiger King is the leading TV show being searched - if one adds up all the time GIPHY users have spent watching a GIF saying "Hey All You Cool Cats and Kittens", one could watch the entire Tiger King season 2,403 times
- 928% increase in video games being searched
- Animal Crossing is the most popular - 20% increase since it launched on the 20th of March
- People's favorite things in GIF templates include
- Colors: Pink, Purple, White and Green
- Flowers: Rose, Daisy, Sunflower, Lily, Tulip
- Scents: Lavender, Vanilla, Coconut
- Disney Princesses: Ariel, Moana, Jasmine
- Seaons: Winter, Autumn, Christmas
- Cheers and Happy Hour searches routinely spike up during the weekends
- 225% increase in words relating to hobbies like drawing, painting, design, etc
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.